Get hungry, Chicagoans!
’Tis the season to celebrate the Polish food that’s remained a Chicago staple for generations.
Friday (October 8) is National Pierogi Day.
The dumpling-like delicacy with Eastern European roots sees mashed potatoes (and/or cheese or another filling) wrapped in pockets of unleavened dough, often served with onions and sour cream.
Luckily, there’s no shortage of local restaurants where you can observe the holiday in the greater Chicago area.
Here are some of your options:
- Podhalanka, at 1549 W Division St. in Chicago
- Staropolska Restaurant, at 3030 N Milwaukee Ave in Chicago
- Red Apple Buffet, at 64474 N Milwaukee Ave in Chicago
- Pierogi Heaven, at 169 N Wells St. in Chicago
- Alexandra’s Pierogi, at 3300 N Central Ave in Chicago
- Flo & Santo’s, at 1310 S Wabash Ave in Chicago
- Kasia's Polish Delicatessen, at 2101 W Chicago Ave in Chicago
- SMAK-TAK Polish Restaurant, at 5961 N Elston Ave in Chicago
- The Bristol, at 2152 N Damen Ave in Chicago
- Longman & Eagle, at 2657 N Kedzie Ave in Chicago
- Polak Eatery, at 1043 N California Ave in Chicago
- Quilnarnia, at 1730 W Golf Rd. in Mt Prospect
Photo: Getty Images