Georgia's insider linebacker, ROQUAN SMITH has a new home. Thursday, the CHICAGO BEARS drafted Smith with their 8th overall pick.
In addition to being known as one of the highest-sought after defenders in this years' draft; here are 5 facts to help you get to know the newest Bear.
1. The inside linebacker was a four-star prospect and ranked No. 29 overall in the 2015 recruit class. During his recruitment he originally committed to UCLA but changed his decision with the departure of UCLA defensive coordinator, Jeff Ulbrich, who went to the Atlanta Falcons.
2. Smith ultimately decided to play for the Georgia Bulldogs, where his team captured the 2017 SEC Championship title over Auburn. This was the first title won by the Bulldogs in over a decade.
3. And if being apart of the winning SEC team wasn't enough - Smith has quite an impressive resume of his own. He was honored as the MVP of the SEC Championship game, 2017 Defensive Player of the Year, and winner of the The Butkus Award.
4. He is originally from Montezuma, Georgia, a 4,000-resident farming community. While in high school, it wasn't until the spring of his freshmen year that he gave the middle linebacker position a try. In just two years, he rose to the No. 2 recruit in the country.
5. What can the Chicago Bears expect from their new addition? According to Rich Campbell, "elite speed, great range, super instincts, vicious hitting, and tremendous leadership." All key qualities that will add to the depth of the Bears' defensive roster.
Welcome to the Windy City, Roquan!