Several Chicago-area athletes are heading to the Olympics this year!
- There are 13 locals competing who represent several Chicago suburbs, including Buffalo Grove, Palos Heights, Evergreen Park and Barrington.
- None of the athletes are from the city, though.
🏒 Women's hockey: The defending gold medal-winners will include six (SIX!) players from the area, including:
- Kendall Coyne Schofield (Palos Heights). Currently a player development coach for the Blackhawks, she's captain of the Olympic team.
- Hilary Knight (Lake Forest) is playing in her fourth Olympic Games and was named an alternate captain.
- Megan Bozek (Buffalo Grove) returns after winning gold in 2018.
🥅 The men's hockey team will not include any Blackhawks, per the NHL prohibiting its players from participating due to COVID-19.
⛸ Figure skating (singles): Jason Brown (Highland Park) will participate in Men's Single Skating after winning bronze in the 2014 Olympics at 19 years old. He didn't make the team in 2018.
- A member of the Skokie Valley Skating Club, he'll be skating to the soundtrack of "Schindler's List."
⛸⛸ Figure skating (pairs): Alexa Knierim (Addison) will participate in pair skating.
- Knierim won bronze in 2018 with her husband Chris and is the first U.S. pair skater to make two Olympic teams in the past 20 years.
- She will now compete with new partner Brandon Frazier, even though they did not participate in the 2022 U.S. Nationals due to Frazier getting COVID.
There are lots more which you can check out HERE or see below!